2022 was a breakout year for Beerwanderers with both locals and travelers trying to get back to normal after what seemed an eternity of COVID-induced hesitation. Germany ushered in a 9€ Ticket for each summer month and I took advantage of it to expand my horizons into a big chunk of Franconian Baden-Württemberg. Beerwanderers got to 26 new-for-us beer places (13 breweries, 6 restaurants featuring beers on tap from breweries with no pubs, 5 Bierkellers and two bars) and sampled 237 beers we’d not had before.These are strictly places in Franconia. I did a lot in Bavaria too. Obviously, there were lots of bottled beers in the mix. Some friends helped out with car excursions and bringing back beers from their beery exploration as well. I sure couldn’t have covered so much ground or tried so many new beers without them. To help make all this new information on Beerwanderers more easily found and to commemorate the momentous year, we’re giving out virtual awards to the best finds of the year. Please note, to be considered it has to be a beer or place we’ve not had or been to before 2022. In instances where a beer was had on tap when it had previously been only sampled in bottled form, it was considered a new “beer experience” and included. Links go to the entries on the site for further elaboration. Here goes:
Top 5 Restaurants (not a brewery but a pub featuring a particular brewery’s beer when that they have no pub of their own):
1. Manns Bräu (Becher Bräu brews a range of beers for a defunct brewery and great cozy pub)
2. Gasthof Zum Goldenen Lamm (alternate to Wettelsheimer Keller with full range of Strauss beers)
3. Zur Schleuse (unofficial tap of Stefansbräu and great little Biergarten)
4. Gasthaus Adler (unofficial tap of Brauerei Schmetzer in neighboring town)
5. Gasthaus Sindel Buckel (unofficial tap of Fischer Bräu in neighboring town)
Top 5 Bierkellers:
1. Geyer Felsenkeller
2. Zeckerner Keller
3. Gambrinus Keller
4. Höhnskeller (had been there in previous years but never took pics or added to BW)
5. Zum Einhornskeller (a former Keller for the Einhorn brewery, now more a restaurant with a contract beer)
Top 5 Breweries (ones with pubs next to or with official brewery taps/beer, food and pub all considered):
Top 5 Weizens:
Top 5 Bocks:
Top 5 Best Looking Beers:
Top 5 light colored beers:
Top 5 dark colored beers:
Beerwanderers were busy not only exploring new beery locations but also showing people new to the area the wonders of our beer hiking paradise. I won’t even try to pick a Top 5 of the wonderful groups I’ve had the pleasure to get to know but I will post a few photos to show the good times we had:
Want to learn more about Franconian beer styles: Try ABeerC.
Heading to Bamberg. Don’t leave home without The Pocket Guide to Bamberg’s Best Beer.
Looking for someone to take you there? How about me?